1) In a recent report, the gross enrollment ratios at the primary level, that is, the number of children enrolled in classes one to five as a proportion of all children aged 6 to 10, were shown to be very high for most states; in many cases they were way above 100 percent! These figures are not worth anything, since they are based on the official enrollment data compiled from school records. They might as well stand for gross exaggeration ratios. Which one of the following options best supports the claim that the ratios are exaggerated?
2) Szymanski suggests that the problem of racism in football may be present even today. He begins by verifying an earlier hypothesis that clubs' wage bills explain 90% of their performance. Thus, if players' salaries were to be only based on their abilities, clubs that spend more should finish higher. If there is pay discrimination against some group of player-fewer teams bidding for black players thus lowering the salaries for blacks with the same ability as whites-that neat relation may no longer hold. He concludes that certain clubs seem to have achieved much less than what they could have, by not recruiting black players. Which one of the following findings would best support Szymanski's conclusion?
3) The pressure on Italy's 257 jails has been increasing rapidly. These jails are old and overcrowded. They are supposed to hold up to 43,000 people - 9,000 fewer than now. San Vittore in Milan, which has 1,800 inmates, is designed for 800. The number of foreigners inside jails has also been increasing. The minister in charge of prisons fears that tensions may snap, and so has recommended to the government an amnesty policy. Which one of the following, if true, would have most influenced the recommendation of the minister?
4) The offer of the government to make iodised salt available at a low price of one rupee per kilo is welcome, especially since the government seems to be so concerned about the ill effects of non-iodised salt. But it is doubtful whether the offer will actually be implemented. Way back in 1994, the government, in an earlier effort, had prepared reports outlining three new and simple but experimental methods for reducing the costs of iodisation to about five paise per kilo. But these reports have remained just those reports on paper. Which one of the following, if true, most weakens the author's contention that it is doubtful whether the offer will be actually implemented?
5) About 96% of Scandinavian moths have ears tuned to the ultrasonic pulses that bats, their predator, emit. But the remaining 4% do not have ears and are deaf. However, they have a larger wingspan than the hearing moths, and also have higher wing-loadings—the ratio between a wing's area and its weight—meaning higher manoeuvrability. Which one of the following can be best inferred from the above passage? .